User interface proposal

Developer
Jun 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM
So, we made an internal fork of squiggle in which we modified some aspects of it (mostly authentication and integration with internal tools) and we specially did a very nice user interface re-skining, and I think I can contribute it back to the project if you like it.

We used a library called MahApss.Metro
and a iconset called Modern UI Icons

This is the looks of the main app user interface:
Imgur

Notice that I removed all the menu items with 3 icons on the title bar (history, broadcast, settings). The settings menu contains an about tab.

In the "chat window" we also modified it removing the menu options (many of them very redundant) and we only left the "add user to this chat" as a button (the voice chat is disabled for this internal fork)

Settings and history viewer also were modified but no additional improvement done there that is worth mentioning.

What do you think about this, do you want this on the trunk?
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM
These is definitely a good alternative UI that is worth trying out. However I think the menu options in chat and main are useful for power users. It would be nice if users can switch between this skin and classic/current one.

Do you have something in mind about making the skin configurable?
Developer
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I know that in theory is doable, but I've never done something like that on WPF before, so I don't know if it's going to be easy or it requires rethinking the whole thing.

Maybe we can reach a middle point, that UI is meant for our specific use-case (mainly non-techie users) and I can do a proposal considering the use cases of Squiggle public. Would you like that?
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Sounds good.
Developer
Jul 23, 2013 at 1:55 AM
I have a couple of commits already, please take a look if you find time https://squiggle.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/delm/contributions?branch=MahAppsMetro#
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2013 at 4:46 AM
Looks pretty good :) Thanks!

Tabs in the settings window are a bit bigger. Probably changing window dimensions or reducing tab height/width will make it look better.
Looking forward to completed version.