WinXP works fine, Win7 multiple problems!! Same LAN

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The following 2 problems are both for Windows 7 users on my LAN. We are slowly moving people over to Windows7 from XP and the users that have been moved are experiencing the following 2 problems. Wndows XP users do not experience the problems.

• Once they login, anyone that logs in after them are unviewable unless they log out and log back in. So they frequently need to logout/back in to refresh who is available.
  • Win7 users cannot see each other! There are 3 Win7 users so far, and these users are now unable to see each other. However, other users can see all 3 of them.

I've tried 3.0 (what most users are still on), 3.1 & 3.2 (actually no one shows up here).

Any help is much appeciated!!

Thank you

Craig

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM

All people have to be on same version of the client.  Either 3.2 or 3.1.

You will need to add Squiggle to exceptions in firewall of those users.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Hi Hasankhan,

Currently all users are on 3.0, and the problems remains. As mentioned I tried all 3 of those versions (it appears that users can be on 3.0 and 3.1 and still see each other, aside from the problems I mentioned for Windows 7 users).

I appreciate your quick response. Windows Firewall is being managed by a virus software program called Symanec, which is installed for all users (XP and Win7 users).

How could this be a firewall issue? It seems like Squiggle is not being blocked as they can see everyone else on the network, just not the other Windows7 users? I suppose maybe the Windows7 Firewall could be working differnetly than the XP firewall?

Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Craig

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Yes kindly check the firewall settings on Win7 machines.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I experience the same problem and it is not caused by the Firewall settings because I made sure to open up the ports in the firewall settings.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Also still experiencing the same issue. It appears Firewall exception is in for Squiggle on all these machines..

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I'm seeing a similar issue as well. Please help.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Any updates on this issue yet?

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

As a way to test, actually disable firewall temporarily on affected machines, report result.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Hi hasankhan,

I work with Craig and am taking over this issue from him. Have there been any further development in fixing this problem?
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM
Hi

I'm afraid I don't have resources to test Win8 and Win7 machines together. Although I'm pretty sure it has less to do with OS and more to do with environment configuration.

Squiggle uses UDP Multicast for communication. Make sure all the clients are on latest version and same version. And make sure all the ports specified in the squiggle settings dialog are unblocked.