Messages come to other ppl that they should

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Hi everybody,

First of all I would like to thank the author for this excellent, light app, which made communication within my company so much easier!

However, there is a serious problem I have encountered. After changing OS on my server and IP range (now it is x.x.x.2-50 not 150-199) communication basically stopped.

Well maybe it doesnt fully stop but some of the msgs dont arrive to its target computer and some even arrive to DIFFERENT worker! This is quite problematic, as I send message to worker A and worker B recieves it.

Did you encounter simmilar problems? How can i repair it and be satisfied again? ;)

Best regards, Jan Cybulski.

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

That's strange. Are you using bridge or multicast service of Squiggle in your network? 
Which version of Squiggle are you using? 

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Thank you for your fast reply.

The version is 3.1.0.0 and ... all right, I believe I know what is the problem. I did not set up a multicast service. I just used client packages on all computers and it worked for some time.Can it be the issue? Im starting to do the proper installation now...

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Multicast service is only required in a network where multicasting is not supported. My question was really to know what setup you have in your network. Its unlikely that multicast is causing wrong message to be delivered to wrong participant. Since chat messages are not routed through multicast service.

A bridge may cause an error like this if there is a bug since bridge does route chat messages. Since you seem to have all the clients on single subnet you don't need a bridge either.

I wouldn't recommend you to install either of the service if you can work without them. Would it be possible for you to delete config file of Squiggle on all your client machines? Just empty the folder at the following location: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Overroot 

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Thank you for explanation.

It will take some time - but I can do that. Anyway, it seems that this will be only temporary solution, huh? Aren't there any logs files, which could help you with tracking each message?

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM

No Squiggle only logs errors which are off by default. You can turn on the logging but I'm suspecting that cleaning would not be a temporary solution. Just try it on two malfunctioning hosts.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Thank you, I will post in a few days to give you feedback.

May 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Edited May 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Hi again,

Your solution worked and I have not heard any more complains about that issue. Thank you for that.

However, new situation occured. Quite regularly sender recieves an auto msg saying something like "sorry, I can not send it" although message was recieved without a problem. The consequences of that are that everybody sends the same msg muliple times and gets frustrated. 

I noticed that singning out and singing in again helps for a short time, but I believe most of my colligues wouldnt know how to do even that. 

Anyway, thanks for your fast sollution, keep up the good work! ;)