Date in time-stamp

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Hi,

We have been using squiggle for a year now and it works pretty well. Chat logging is very important for us, as we often need to see the last message when reopening a chat window. The only thing bothering some people is that there is no date in the time-stamp preceding messages and it sometimes causes confusion. It would be a great feature to be able to see the date in the time-stamp.

I may submit a patch if I install and use a .NET environment, but my lack of experience with this language tells me it would take more time than I can find at the moment.

I know we can get an history under tools in the main window but 1) I can't seem to be able to use it and 2) even if it worked, it would never be as fast as glancing directly at the date in the chat window.

Suggestions? Comments?

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hi

If you look at other messengers, you'll see that none of them give the date next to every message and the reason for that is that it becomes too verbose when the same thing is repeated with every message.

While I do agree that it can be helpful when you're looking back at the history but that use case happens less often than chatting with people.

Maybe a better solution would be to group history entries by date when the window is reopened. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

You are right, it may easily be too verbose for most people... I thought of enabling this by checking a box in the config, but your solution to group entries by date is pretty elegant.