Squiggle domain deployment

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Hello everybody,

i would like to deploy Squiggle to the clients of my windows network, but i have some questions before starting the global deployment.

1. Is it enough to simply copy the extracted folder into a client's path (eg: C:\Program Files (x86)\Squiggle)?

2. Is there a way to deploy a "standard" configuration setting in order to have some options checked/uncheked by default?

3. How do upgrades work? If i replace the Squiggle client target directory with the new version of Squiggle, will the clients lose their Squiggle settings? If so, is there a way to keep the old settings alive?

4. Is there a way to turn off the automatic update check?

Thank you!

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hi

1) If your network supports multicast packets and Squiggle is not blocked by firewall then yes copying is all that is needed. It just works out of the box without any configuration.

2) There are certain settings saved in the Squiggle.exe.config which are related to network connection but in a typical scenario you wouldn't need to change them. Per user settings are saved elsewhere and right now there is no way to pre-install them.

3) You can put a Squiggle copy on network share and have everyone execute it from there and for upgrading you just have to update the share folder. Otherwise every user has to update their own copy or you have to do it for them on every machine.

4) Right now there is no way of disabling automatic update check but please note it only checks and notifies the user. It doesn't update the client.

Regards

Hasan 

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Hello,

thanks for the reply.

1. Ok. I'll do some more checks deploying it manually to 3-4 workstations, but the multicast thing seems not to be an issue.

2. Ok, i hope there will be something like a global settings.ini in the future. :)

3. The deployment of the upgrades is not an issue (i'll deploy Squiggle using WPKG), i was only wondering if after the Squiggle folder is updated the users' settings are retained or are lost.

4. I saw it's only a notification, but "users don't know, users don't whine". Since i would like not to be bothered by users about "ehi, there's a new version, maybe with the omg emoticon, can i have it?" it would be better for me if the notification could be disabled, but i understand it's not that huge issue and i'll wait for the option to be enabled in the future

Thanks again!

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

3) The personal settings are indeed lost on version upgrade like nickname etc.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

3) Meh, this is quite annoying, i hope that in the future there will be the possibility to retain the settings (possibly in a file to copy_out and then recopy_in since there's no installer).

Thank you for your patience, i'll let you know how the the deployment goes. :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Supported pre-configurable settings in a standard configuration file, or maybe in the HKCU, and a method of disabling the auto-update would indeed be a very nice feature to have!