User goes offline after 2 minutes

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Hello,

I've a problem with 3.0beta running on Win7 Ultimate.

My lan is as follows:

USR A (wireless) ----- Wireless swtich ---- Router ---> WWW

|

USR B (cabled) --------------|

USR A is ok, he sees USR B correctly all the time.

USR B, on the other side, sees USR A online for about 2 minutes (during which he can chat, send messages, buzz, etc.), then he sees same user go offline (even if he's still online).

I tried to lower the keepalive as far as 1 second (on both) and pcs have firewalls correctly configured with Squiggle ports of choice, all to no avail.

If USR B disconnects and re-register to multicast address then he sees again USR A online (for another 2 minutes).

Any suggestion?

I really love squiggle, thanks for the effort!

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Hi

Bringing down the keepalive value means that clients will send keep alive message more often but it also means that they will expect it more often as well. You might want to turn up this value instead.
If that doesn't help then you can install Multicast service in one of the machines on network.

Regards

Hasan 

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Worked like a charm, thanks.

Still wondering why - tho.

Isn't Squiggle supposed to work without that service on machines in the same subnet?

I'm wondering if it's a problem related to my cheap switch multicast address managing...

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2011 at 9:14 AM

PirataRosso it works fine for most of the people but some routers/switches drop multicast messages quite often and so the people experience problems like yours.
In 3.0 final i'll add an improvement to the implementation which will handle this situation a little better.

Regards

Hasan 

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:15 AM

And i'll be here testing ;-)

Thanks!