Squiggle LAN server

May 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Hello,

I have installed Squiggle Client 2.7.4.0 Client on Windows 7 machine with IP 10.180.27.193 and second machine with IP 10.180.28.219 running Windows XP SP3. Both stations I configured to connect to server IP 10.180.25.15 running Squiggle 2.7 multicast service. Both clients can see each other when user logged in, but messages are not delivered between those clients. Communication is allowed in iptables firewall on port 9998 to Multicast service and port 9999 between clients. Every client and even multicast service are on different LAN segment and communication is passing through firewall (no dropped packets, verified by tcpdump), but messages are not delivered anyway.

I have found discussion "Squiggle in Subnets" (http://squiggle.codeplex.com/discussions/228691), but we have strictly prohibited multicast between LAN segments and even in same segment on every switch we use. Sending messages between two clients in same subnet is also not possible, for example IP 10.180.27.201 and IP 10.180.27.193.

I know that I can use Squiggle 2.7 Bridge, but on so many segments of LAN we have it would be madness to maintain configuration two bridging computers all around 10 or more segments of LAN. I also understand that Squiggle purpose is server-less peer to peer LAN chat, but if you already have multicast service, would it be please possible to change it to be also central server exchanging messages between all users?

Thank you anyway for any advice.

With best regards

Jan Faix

Coordinator
May 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Hi Jan Faix

There are two things in your post.

1) One is that you're not able to send messages from one client to another even though you're saying that the network doesn't block communication.

2) You're suggesting for a LAN server.

For 1) there is obviously something blocking the communication. Either the router or the local firewall. Try to hunt down the problem and Squiggle shall work for you.

For 2) Yes I'll consider it in some future release but the whole point of Squiggle as you understand correctly; is to just copy and run so every other feature request may get more weight than it.

May 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hello hasankhan,

Thank you for fast reaction.

ad 1) The problem was in read only permissions on folder and files of Squiggle Client. RW rights solved the problem.

ad 2) Thank you in advance for considering this new feature in some future release.