Active Directory support

May 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Edited May 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Similar to this discussion, does Squiggle have built in Active Directory support for authentication and if not is that something that would be possible (read: easy) to add in a later version? Right now the only thing holding me back from suggesting Squiggle for use in my workplace is that it seems as though anyone can choose any name they want without authentication which could cause major integrity issues if somebody chose to impersonate someone else. Kudos on your work so far on this, it's always a bit amazing to see such a small team get so much accomplished on their own.

Thanks,

Fiernaq

May 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Hear, hear to this one: I would be glad too if AD support will be available.

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Thank you Fiernaq for your feedback.

Since Squiggle is server-less its not possible to prevent people from impersonating someone else.
However Squiggle does show you the user's machine name on contact info tool tip so impersonation can be detected that way (That too can be faked if someone wants to do it).

To address this issue we would need a presence server which will have to be installed on a machine in the network but that will make deployment a bit difficult and Squiggle as server oriented messaging service.
If enough people request for this, I'll consider this.

May 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM
Edited May 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM

It would be nice if you could make the server portion an add-on so that you could still run squiggle serverless if you chose to but still have the option to authenticate to a server application that's integrated to AD.  In other words, make the squiggle server a separate application that's optional instead of built-in.  I'd offer to help with the code but sadly my skills are very limited and focused mostly on web-based languages such as HTML and PHP.

Thanks,
Fiernaq

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Yes thats the way it is going to be. Users will be able to use Squiggle with or without server.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:38 AM
markcoutinho wrote:

Hear, hear to this one: I would be glad too if AD support will be available.

Hundred Thumbs Up to this IDEA... Having an option for having a presence server would make this program more powerful and more reliable. Hope we can see the realization of this project soon. More POWER to the people behind this product! You Guys Rock, God Bless You All!

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Another thumb up for the AD support.

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Two hands and both feet up for this idea!  I looked at 10 different commercial packages that had A/D support, but none of them were as clean as Squiggle (most had WAY to many "features" to be useful) but having A/D support would make this a no-brainer for businesses. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

BTW, just this one request (support for Environment Variables on Windows)  http://squiggle.codeplex.com/workitem/8095 will get you most of what you want, without adding complexity to the tool.