Deployment and locating of settings file

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM

We want to deploy Squiggle automatically via a script from server.  Small office on same sub-net of 20 people. Here is the setup.

• Executable and related files stored on a shared network drive.
  • Only 'user settings' on local machine

Script will just add network path of Squiggle.exe to HKCU/Run registry.

Where are the user settings stored? We would like to pre-configure and push to each client.

-Raj

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Squiggle has two kinds of settings. One are instance settings that are related to connection. They are in same folder as squiggle in Squiggle.exe.config file while the personalization settings like enable chat history, etc are stored in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Overroot\Squiggle.exe_Random characters

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM
hasankhan wrote:

Squiggle has two kinds of settings. One are instance settings that are related to connection. They are in same folder as squiggle in Squiggle.exe.config file while the personalization settings like enable chat history, etc are stored in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Overroot\Squiggle.exe_Random characters

• Where is name/group name stored?
  • Can the 'Squiggle.exe_Random characters' be generated and pushed from server, by a batch/vbs file for instance ?

Thank you for your help and a great piece of software :-)

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • name/group is stored in personalization settings.
  • These are generated by .NET runtime I'm not sure how to generate these characters from a custom script. When the app runs for the first time this file is automatically created.

If you really want to customize group name then you can deploy it, run it and then modify the latest file generated in the above mentioned path.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Let me know if this deployment strategy will work:

Script Phase 1:

• Squiggle exe stored on a central stored path
  • Registry HKCU/Run key pushed to all users so that Squiggle is added to 'Startup' programs

Script Phase 2:

• Pushes a customized to each user 'user.config' file to the 'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Overroot\Squiggle.exe_Random characters folder'

I am not sure if the 'Squiggle.exe.Config' file, which is in the same folder as squiggle.exe, be common to all users? Or does each user need his own file?

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Yes the Squiggle.exe.config file can be shared among all users. Since it has mostly connection related settings.
The deployment strategy looks fine to me but I recommend you to first install Squiggle on one or two machine and look at each setting in both of the files and then plan your deployment.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hi there,

Can you please provide the instructions how you deployed squiggle across your network?  I am a new network manager and this software can solve some of my communication problems.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM

@Hasan, if 'save chat history' is on for each user, how is history database managed, in case of running squiggle off a network folder? Can each user have his own History.sdf file on a local drive?

@nixx, still testing. Will update after my deployment strategy is executed.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Yes every user can continue to have local history

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I am testing this. I do not see any place to specify location of the history.sdf file. When I run squiggle.exe off a "shared network folder", my history is stored in the file in the same location as the exe file. What happens when another user does the same? Does it keep appending to the same file or create a new file?

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 3:46 AM

In Squiggle.exe.config search for "|DataDirectory|\History.sdf" replace this with a path that is local for each user.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Tested, but ran into a problem. Since the Squiggle.exe.config file is shared by everyone, tried changing path to |DataDirectory|\History.%username%.sdf. It did not work!

Seems like Squiggle.exe it does not like windows variables in the config files? Now if it leave DataDirectory to default, it works and everyone shares the same History.sdf file and each's history is appended to it. Not ideal, but it works.

What I would like is, to use variables in the 'Squiggle.exe.config' file. Possible?

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yes it is possible indeed to add support for environment variables. Please log your request in issues section.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Running Squiggle as my Oct24 (2:24pm) message above with ~10 users. Periodically running into issues when the central "Squiggle.exe.Config" gets corrupted (truncated). Seems like multiple instances of the program are trying to write to it at the same time! After that the program freezes and on re-starting crashes with .net and JIT errors. Only way to make it work is to kill the process and replace with a new valid  "Squiggle.exe.Config" file.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.