Need to Understand Installation for Squiggle

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I need a step by step on how to install and successfully run Squiggle on client computers within my organisation. I run a serverless network over here.

I downloaded  Squiggle-3.0b Client.zip  and installed on two systems to test but we can't seem to find each other. I have also checked firewall settings to let it run through.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Try installing Squiggle Mulicast service. Follow the steps mentioned here: http://squiggle.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20to%20configure%20Squiggle%20Multicast&referringTitle=Documentation

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Thank you very very much for your prompt response. I would like to make a correction that the version I installed is the 2.7 version since the 3.0 is in the beta phase. I will proceed to intall the multicast and tell you how it goes.

Would I need to install it also on the other laptops I need to communicate with-the Multicast?

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I also need to know if I HAVE to run it on the internet or if it will run ok on the Intranet without internet connection

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Squiggle doesn't need internet to run. You need to install Multicast on a single machine on network.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Thanks again, I am really getting sold on this program due to the quick responses.Am i to use the "Presence port" or "Chat port" as seen in the "settings" for the chat application? Do i also use the "Presence" Ip address?

Thank you

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Presence IP should point to the IP of machine on which you installed Multicast service. No need to change the port.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Hate to be a bore but for some reason I still can't get the two laptops to see each other. I have made for the firewall to allow them, and changed the settings within the multicast files as you have written in your directions.

I'll outline the steps i took:

-Downloaded and extracted the files to a folder on "Program files"

-Downloaded and extracted the multicast file to a subfolder in that folder

-made firewall exception Squiggle

-Ran the chat messenger program

-Ran the multicast program

-Changed the port and ip settings within the chat program

-Extracted, and ran client program in another system on the same network

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Both the clients need to have same presence IP set and after doing that you have to signin. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Both client have the same presence IP and after resigning nothing seems to have changed. Do I need to install the multicast on the other client too?

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I was hoping for a reply regarding my last question.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2011 at 5:22 AM
hasankhan wrote:

Squiggle doesn't need internet to run. You need to install Multicast on a single machine on network.

There is probably something wrong with your network configuration. I'm sure there is nothing in Squiggle that you can do to fix this. You definitely have some firewall or both the machines are not on the same network.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Hmmm, both machines are within the same subnet but then I will look more deeply at the problem and get back to you on that. Thank you

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I know it's been a long tima, but I'd like to add a small information.

I have the same problem as heyshomy, but found that the culprit is the firewall in my "multicast server" (the PC where I installed the squiggle.multicast service.

If I disable completely the firewall in that PC, the others can connect and chat normally.

I am now in the process to create a special rule on the firewall exceptions to allow only squiggle traffic to pass through.

If I get something more, I will post here later.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:53 AM
claudioimai wrote:

I know it's been a long tima, but I'd like to add a small information.

I have the same problem as heyshomy, but found that the culprit is the firewall in my "multicast server" (the PC where I installed the squiggle.multicast service.

If I disable completely the firewall in that PC, the others can connect and chat normally.

I am now in the process to create a special rule on the firewall exceptions to allow only squiggle traffic to pass through.

If I get something more, I will post here later.

Great thanks much, awaiting "something more" :-)