Squiggle in Subnets

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Hi there, I'd like to use it in Subnets, but when running it on different clients (pinging clients each other is possible) i cannot find other contacts. Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Online (Presence) information is sent via Multicast packets. Make sure your router is configured to allow the multicast packets across the subnets.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Hi Hasan,

Thanks for your fast repy... is there any way to find out (the technical way) if the router’s allowing multicast packs... (some kind of command...) Problem is, I’m working in a very large network and haven’t got admin rights ... L Or is there a small little routine whick I can found if router’s supports the stuff?

Regards,

Mac

Sent: Montag, 27. September 2010 13:23
To: mac@kuotakalibur.de
Subject: Re: Squiggle in Subnets [squiggle:228691]

Online (Presence) information is sent via Multicast packets. Make sure your router is configured to allow the multicast packets across the subnets.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (squiggle@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email squiggle@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

If people with in a subnet can see each other online

If you're able to ping the machines on other subnets but you're not seeing them online.

Then its a pretty clear indicator of the fact that multicast packet forwarding is not enabled in the router.

The techinical way is to check the router's configuration which you dont have access to . Other possibility is to write an application that communicates using mulitcast packets but Squiggle already does that so you don't have to do anything. No script or command needed for this.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Hi,

unfortunately the router does not support multicast coz’ im able to ping but cannot see anybody only. Is it true, that the only solution to get rid of this problem is to write a client server app?

Regards,

Mac

Sent: Montag, 27. September 2010 15:55

If people with in a subnet can see each other online

If you're able to ping the machines on other subnets but you're not seeing them online.

Then its a pretty clear indicator of the fact that multicast packet forwarding is not enabled in the router.

The techinical way is to check the router's configuration which you dont have access to . Other possibility is to write an application that communicates using mulitcast packets but Squiggle already does that so you don't have to do anything. No script or command needed for this.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (squiggle@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email squiggle@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Mac you did not confirm that you're able to see the people with in the same subnet.

No this is not true that the only way out is writing a client/server application.

Next version of Squiggle will allow you to bridge subnets as well as geographically distributed networks. We'll call it SquiggleNet.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Ok, I can ping all the machines in my network but starting Squiggle on two or more networkclients I cannot see anybody online after each of them logged on.

When will SquiggleNET be available or do you have any beta (with sourcode include) which I can test?

Sent: Montag, 27. September 2010 16:14

Mac you did not confirm that you're able to see the people with in the same subnet.

No this is not true that the only way out is writing a client/server application.

Next version of Squiggle will allow you to bridge subnets as well as geographically distributed networks. We'll call it SquiggleNet.

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM
You should be able to see people online who are on the same subnet.
If even that is not working then make sure both the clients have same connection settings in squiggle.

I do not have definite timeline for the squigglenet feature but that too wont work if you're not able to communicate with people in the same subnet.

Regards

Hasan

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM, kuotakalibur <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok, I can ping all the machines in my network but starting Squiggle on two or more networkclients I cannot see anybody online after each of them logged on.

When will SquiggleNET be available or do you have any beta (with sourcode include) which I can test?

To: [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, in the same subnet I will see the buddies...

A example which won’t work: Client A = 130.224.21.154,  Client B =  130.224.33.130

A example which works: Client A = 130.224.21.154, Client B = 130.224.21.130

What about “PresenceAddress“, I use your default value of 224.10.11.12, maybe I can change it to another value to get it working?

Sent: Montag, 27. September 2010 16:24

If even that is not working then make sure both the clients have same connection settings in squiggle.

I do not have definite timeline for the squigglenet feature but that too wont work if you're not able to communicate with people in the same subnet.

Regards

Hasan

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM, kuotakalibur <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Ok so people in same subnet can see each other, thats fine.
Now you only have to wait for bridge feature.
No changing the presenceAddress won't help in this scenario.

You may ask your network admin to enable the multicast packet forwarding feature (if its available).

Regards

Hasan

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM, kuotakalibur <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

A example which won’t work: Client A = 130.224.21.154,  Client B =  130.224.33.130

What about “PresenceAddress“, I use your default value of 224.10.11.12, maybe I can change it to another value to get it working?

Regards

Hasan

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Ok, so hurry up with the bridging feature... don’t let me wait too long ;-)

Sent: Montag, 27. September 2010 16:57

Ok so people in same subnet can see each other, thats fine.
Now you only have to wait for bridge feature.
No changing the presenceAddress won't help in this scenario.

You may ask your network admin to enable the multicast packet forwarding feature (if its available).

Regards

Hasan

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM, kuotakalibur <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

A example which won’t work: Client A = 130.224.21.154, Client B = 130.224.33.130

Regards

Hasan

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Bridge has been released in v2.5